Microwaves - Ditch Them!
It's interesting that humans go out of their way to destroy the nutritional value of their food before it gets anywhere near their mouths. With the advent of the processed food industry, our food is not only processed beyond recognition, filled with synthetic chemicals (some of which are shown to be carcinogenic, and are banned in other countries), and covered with pesticides (which studies have conclusively linked to serious health conditions), but the microwaving processes helps destroy any remaining nutritional value.
The more you use the microwave, the worse your nutritional state will become. As a microwaves heats food, it causes internal damage to the delicate molecular structures of the vitamins and other nutrients. More seriously, eating microwaved foods directly affects the quality of our blood.
- Processed foods & chronic disease
- Food additives & chemicals - toxic ingredients
- Pesticides in food - a big health hazard
How Microwaves Work
Dr. Hans Hertel
Microwaves are a form of short-wave electromagnetic energy (like a light wave or radio wave) occupying a part of the electromagnetic spectrum of energy. They are not only used in the kitchen microwave oven, but are also used to relay long distance signals and information across the earth or to a satellite.
A microwave oven contains a magnetron (a tube where electrons are affected by magnetic and electrical fields) that produces microwave length radiation. It is this radiation that interacts with the food molecules heated in a microwave.
How Microwaving Affects Food & Our Body
Both long and short term published studies show that microwaved food has a significant and detrimental impact on both our blood, and on the various systems throughout the body when used as part of our daily diet. Not only that, but many key nutrients are also destroyed during the microwaving process, with the availability of other nutrients reduced. Microwaves have more than earned a place in the Dirty Dozen.
Let's take a detailed look at these long-term studies, and look at the Top 10 reasons you should ditch your microwave!
Food scientist Dr. Hans Hertel was the first scientist to carry out a clinical study on the effects of microwaved nutrients on the blood and physiology of the human body. His controlled study was conducted with Dr. Bernard H. Blanc of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology and the University Institute for Biochemistry. The study revealed significant and disturbing changes in the blood of people who consumed microwaved milk and vegetables.
The overall experiment was very similar to the Pottenger cat study of raw vs. pasteurized milk, except that the test subjects were humans, and the time-frame was shorter.
8 volunteers participating in the study received one of the following food types on an empty stomach. Blood samples were taken from every volunteer immediately before and after eating:
- Raw milk
- The same milk conventionally cooked
- The same milk pasteurized
- The same raw milk cooked in a microwave oven
- Raw vegetables from an organic farm
- The same vegetables cooked conventionally
- The same vegetables frozen, which were defrosted in a microwave oven
- The same vegetables cooked in a microwave oven
All foods that were heated by microwave ovens caused changes in the blood of the volunteers. The scientific conclusion showed that microwave cooking changed the nutrients in the food, and that the subsequent changes in the participants' blood could cause deterioration in the human system (which was conclusively proven in a later study conducted by both the Germans and Russians - see below).
The significant changes discovered in the blood samples from those eating foods cooked in the microwave oven included:
- A decrease in all hemoglobin and cholesterol values, especially the ratio of HDL (good cholesterol) and LDL (bad cholesterol) values. The cholesterol markers increased rapidly after the consumption of the microwaved vegetables. The cholesterol values remained the same, and even decreased significantly with the raw milk. The results also showed anemic tendencies, which were even more pronounced during the second month of the study.
- Lymphocytes (white blood cells that fight infection) showed a distinct short-term decrease following the intake of microwaved food, an indicator pointing to degeneration.
- Leukocytes (another type of white blood cell) were increased, with this increase more pronounced than all the other variants. See below.
- Luminescent (light-emitting) bacteria were used to detect energetic changes in the blood. A significant increase was found in the luminescence of these bacteria when exposed to blood serum obtained after the consumption of microwaved food.
"There is extensive scientific literature concerning the hazardous effects of direct microwave radiation on living systems," Hertel stated. "It is astonishing, therefore, to realize how little effort has been made to replace this detrimental technique of microwaves with technology more in accordance with nature." Hertel went on to explain that technically produced microwaves are not the same microwaves produced by the sun, which have a very different effect on living organisms.
"Leukocytosis (an increase in leukocytes), which cannot be accounted for by normal daily deviations, is taken very seriously by hematologists. Leukocytes are often a sign of pathogenic effects on the living system, such as poisoning and cellular damage." This is an important point, as leukocytes increased in volunteers consuming microwaved food.
In March 1993, Dr. Hertel was convicted for "interfering with commerce" in Switzerland and prohibited from continuing to publish the results of his study. Dr. Hertel fought the ruling, which was later overturned by the courts.
A Russian study was published by the Atlantis Rising Educational Center in Portland, Oregon showing that carcinogens were formed in virtually all foods tested in microwave ovens. No test food was subjected to more microwaving than necessary to accomplish cooking, thawing, or heating to ensure sanitary ingestion.
Summary of the study results include:
- Microwaving milk and cereal grains converted some of their amino acids into carcinogenic substances.
- Thawing frozen fruits converted their glucoside- and galactoside- containing fractions into carcinogenic substances.
- Extremely short exposure of raw, cooked, or frozen vegetables to microwaving converted their plant alkaloids into carcinogens.
- Microwaving prepared meats sufficiently to ensure sanitary ingestion caused the formation of d-Nitrosodienthanolamines, a well-known carcinogen.
- Carcinogenic free radicals were formed in microwaved plants, especially root vegetables.
- Nutritional value was decreased.
- A marked acceleration of structural degradation, leading to a decreased food value of 60-90% in all foods tested.
Antioxidants such as antocyanins and flavonoids, and other nutritional components are easily damaged or become less bioavailable by microwaving. Microwaving has been shown to cause a 97% decrease in antioxidant value (of vitamin C) in broccoli compared to other cooking methods.(1) A Japanese study also revealed that 30-40% of vitamin B12 was destroyed in foods cooked by a microwave.
Microwaving also negatively impacts water molecules, creating chaotic energetic patterns.
The most significant research was produced by German and Russian research facilities concerning the biological effects of microwaves. In most cases, the foods used for research analysis were exposed to microwaves at an energy potential of 100 kilowatts/cm3/second, the point considered acceptable for sanitary, normal ingestion. The research was conducted by:
- Germans researchers at the Humboldt University of Berlin (1942-1943); and,
- Russian researchers at the Institute of Radio Technology at Kinsk, Byelorussian Autonomous Region, and at the Institute of Radio Technology at Rajasthan in the Rossiskaja Autonomous Region (both in the former USSR).
The effects of microwaving on foods noted by both German and Russian researchers was categorized as follows:
Category I: Cancer-Causing Effects
Category II: Nutrient Destruction of Foods
Category III: Biological Effects of Exposure
Category I: Cancer-Causing Effects
- Creation of a "binding effect" to radioactivity in the atmosphere, causing a marked increase in the amount of alpha and beta particle saturation in foods.
- Creation of cancer-causing agents within protein hydrolysate compounds in milk and cereal grains (these are natural proteins that are split into unnatural fragments by the addition of water when microwaved).
- Alteration of elemental food-substances, causing disorders in the digestive system by the unstable metabolic breakdown of foods subjected to microwaves.
- Due to chemical alterations within food substances, malfunctions were observed within the lymphatic system, causing a degeneration of the immune potential of the body to protect against certain forms of neoplastics (abnormal tissue growth).
- Ingestion of microwaved foods caused a higher percentage of cancerous cells within the blood serum (cytomas, and cell tumors such as sarcoma).
- Microwave emissions caused alteration in the metabolic breakdown behavior of plant alkaloids (glucoside and galactoside) within frozen fruits when thawed in a microwave.
- Microwave emissions caused alteration of the metabolic breakdown behavior of plant alkaloids when raw, cooked, or frozen vegetables were exposed to microwaves for even extremely short periods of time.
- In a statistically high percentage of people, microwaved foods caused stomach and intestinal cancerous growths, as well as a general degeneration of peripheral cellular tissues, with a gradual breakdown of the function of the digestive and excretion systems.
- Cancer causing free radicals were formed within certain trace mineral molecular formations in plant substances, and in particular, raw root vegetables.
Category II: Nutrient Destruction Of Foods
Microwave exposure caused a significant decrease in the nutrient value of all foods researched. The following are the most important findings:
- A decrease in the bioavailability (capability of the body to assimilate the nutrients) of B-complex vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E, essential minerals, and lipotropics in all foods.
- A loss of 60-90% of the vital energy field content of all tested foods.
- A reduction in the metabolic activity and integration process capability of plant alkaloids (glucosides, galactosides, and nitrilosides).
- A destruction of the nutrient value of nucleoproteins in meats.
- A marked acceleration of structural disintegration in all foods.
Category III: Biological Effects of Exposure
Exposure to microwave emissions also had an unpredictably negative effect upon the general biological health of humans. This was not discovered until the Russians experimented with highly sophisticated equipment and discovered that a human did not even need to eat the microwaved food substances to experience the negative effects of the technology.
The following effects were noted:
- A breakdown of the human energy field in those who were exposed to microwave ovens while in operation, with side-effects to the human energy field of increasingly longer duration the more they were exposed.
- A degeneration of the cellular voltage parallels during the process of using the apparatus, especially in the blood and lymphatic areas.
- Degeneration and circuit breakdowns of electrical nerve impulses within the junction potentials of the cerebrum (the front portion of the brain where thought and higher functions live).
- Markedly higher levels of brainwave disturbance in the alpha, theta, and delta wave signal patterns of persons exposed to microwave emission fields. Because of this brainwave disturbance, negative psychological effects were noted, including memory degeneration, loss of ability to concentrate, suppressed emotional threshold, deceleration of intellectual processes, and interrupted sleep episodes in a statistically higher percentage of individuals subjected to the continual effects of microwave apparatus, either in cooking or in transmission stations.
- A degeneration and breakdown of nerve electrical circuits and loss of energy field symmetry in the nerve centers, both in the front and the rear of the central and autonomic nervous systems.
- Loss of balance and circuiting of the bioelectric strengths within the ascending reticular activating system (which controls the function of consciousness).
- A long-term cumulative loss of vital energies within humans, animals, and plants that were located within a 500-meter radius of the microwave equipment.
- Long lasting residual effects of magnetic "deposits" were found throughout the nervous system and lymphatic system.
- A destabilization and interruption in the production of hormones, and maintenance of hormonal balance in both males and females.
- A degeneration and destabilization of internal cellular membrane potentials while transferring metabolic breakdown processes into the blood serum from the digestive process.
- A degeneration and destabilization of the external energy activated potentials of food utilization within the processes of human metabolism.
Based on the results, the use of microwave apparatus is definitely not advisable. Due to the problem of random magnetic residue and binding within the biological systems of the body (Category III, #8), which can ultimately effect the neurological systems (primarily the brain and nerve centers), long-term depolarization of tissue neuroelectric circuits can result. Because these effects can cause virtually irreversible damage to the neuroelectrical integrity of parts of the nervous system, eating microwaved foods is clearly not advised in all respects (I. R. Luria, Novosibirsk 1975a).
The magnetic residual effect of microwaved food can render the psychoneural receptor components of the brain more subject to influence psychologically by artificially induced microwave radio frequency fields from transmission stations and TV relay-networks.
Studies show that microwaving human milk, even at a low setting, can destroy some of its important disease-fighting capabilities. Milk heated between 72°C and 98°C loses 96% of its immunoglobulin-A antibodies (the antibodies that fend off invading microbes).
- In the April, 1992 issue of Pediatrics (Part I), Pediatrician Dr. John A. Kerner, Jr. and his Stanford University co-workers reported that microwaved breast milk lost lysozyme activity, antibodies, and fostered the growth of more potentially pathogenic bacteria.(3)
- The nutritional properties of milk are destroyed by microwaving, and when a baby formula is microwaved, one of the amino acids, L-proline, is converted to its d -isomer (which is a neurotoxin).
Chemist Dr. Lita Lee stated "Microwaving baby formulas converted certain trans-amino acids into their synthetic isomers. Synthetic isomers, whether they are amino acids or trans fatty acids, are not biologically active. Further, one of the amino acids, L-proline, was converted to its d -isomer, which is known to be neurotoxic (poisonous to the nervous system) and nephrotoxic (poisonous to the kidneys). It is bad enough that many babies are not nursed, but now they are given fake milk (baby formula) made even more toxic via microwaving."(4)
Top 10 Reasons to Ditch Your Microwave!
Based on not only the Swiss, Russian, and German studies (see above), but various other studies emerging, here are 10 great reasons to ditch your microwave.
|Detrimentally impacts our blood by: |
|Decreases our ability to absorb important nutrients, including vitamins B, C, and E, antioxidants, essential minerals, and lipotropics. It also damages other plant substances such as alkaloids, glucosides, galactosides, and nitrilosides.|
|Degrades the nucleoproteins in meat.|
|Creates cancer-causing agents, and causes a higher percentage of cancerous cells within the blood serum. In a statistically high percentage of people, microwaved foods were found to cause stomach and intestinal cancer growths, and may be a prime contributor to the rapidly rising rate of colon cancer.|
|Causes a 60-90% reduction in the energy field around all tested foods. A long-term cumulative loss of vital energy within humans, animals, and plants was also noted within a 500-meter radius of the operational equipment. (...Read more about food and vibrational frequency)|
|Degeneration and breakdown of nerve electrical circuits within the body, including the cerebrum (front portion of the brain where thought and higher functions are produced).|
|Creates brainwave disturbance in the alpha, theta, and delta wave signal patterns, with the negative effects of loss of memory, concentration problems, emotional instability, a decrease of intelligence, and interrupted sleep.|
|Interrupts the production of hormones and the maintenance of hormonal balance.|
|Causes malfunctions within the lymphatic system, with long lasting residual effects of magnetic "deposits" located throughout the nervous system and lymphatic system.|
|Contributes to immune system deficiencies through lymph gland and blood serum alterations, in part due to the unknown by-products created that the human body cannot properly metabolize. This causes a degeneration of the body's ability to protect itself against certain forms of abnormal tissue growth (neoplastics).|
The German/Russian study revealed that humans did not even need to eat the microwaved food to experience a negative biological impact. Simple exposure to the microwaves themselves was sufficient to cause an adverse reaction.
But Wait! What Else Can I Use?!
Ditching the microwave is a great reason to incorporate more healthful and nutritious foods that do not require cooking, such as fresh fruits, salad vegetables, and pseudo-grains such as quinoa. When you need to cook, consider using a toaster oven as a replacement. They are inexpensive, and depending on the brand, can work wonderfully as a mini-oven too. Most packaged foods give instructions for both microwave and oven preparation. Cooking your food may take a little longer, but it is more than worth the wait for a much healthier alternative. Our family was completely addicted to using the microwave. But 4 years ago, we walked away from it, and never looked back - and today, we don't miss it at all!!
- The standard American diet: Fast-track to chronic disease
- Irradiated foods
- Microwaves - why you should ditch them
- The Dirty Dozen: What they are & why you should avoid them
- Understanding GMOs
- What are processed & refined foods
- Health dangers of foods sprayed with pesticides
- Why today's soy is NOT a healthy food
- Why stress is a silent killer
- Get off the diet merry-go-round
- Is your diet healthy? See how it stacks up
- Raising children naturally
- Healthy food choices for pets
- (1) Principles of Orthomolecularism, by author R. A. S. Hemat
- (2) Effects of microwave cooking on bioactive compounds in broccoli. J. Agric. Food Chem., 2007, 55 (24), pp 10001–10007
- (3) Effects of microwave radiation on anti-infective factors in human milk. Pediatrics. 1992 Apr;89(4 Pt 1):667-9.
- (4) Chemist, author, lecturer, and nutritionist Dr. Lita Lee, Ph.D.
- NEXUS Magazine, Volume 2, #25 (April-May 1995)
- Dr. Mercola